Tuesday 15 March 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day Ten

A song that makes you fall asleep.

I never really thought about music sending me to sleep, I mean I have fallen asleep listening to music - on long car journeys there are certain tunes which will immediately invoke a trance like state such as The Chemical Brothers or Leftfield or most dance songs heard on late night radio. Then there is classical radio which you need sometimes to just chill out to ultimately ending in the drowsy eye moments if played on long journeys late at night.

So before I get to a song which I can listen to with the purpose of relaxing and falling asleep one could, and for a good rant I will,  interpret this category as music that bores you.

A few years ago I had completely overdosed on metal, the time had produced some awesome albums. Nile's 'For Whom the God's Detest', Mastodon's 'Crack the Skye' and Slayer's 'World Painted Blood' to name but a few. I had decided that I needed to investigate some soothing music to achieve a balance in my listening (how Zen of me). I was dragged along with the massive amounts of hype by people I knew, the radio and TV and eventually purchased a Fleet Foxes album.

It even to this day hurts me to write about them. It was a mistake, plain and simple. The album was so boring it has never graced my iPod or left the shelf since that initial listen. Now I know that many albums need more than one listen but this for me would have been one more too many.

It is hype around music that sometimes wins and very often loses. Hype stretches to books, films and TV series. Some clear examples of this for me are; Sky Atlantic launches Treme - 'The Wire with Trombones' - such hype, interesting cast and idea, failure to deliver.

Take the hype around Mumford & Sons, ok so one of their songs has a catchy chorus but since then everything else sounds the same as that song.

'The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo' has been so hyped they are remaking the film so quickly into American and yet the book and original film failed to deliver close to the hype. On the flip side "Let The Right One In' has been hyped and didn't need a bloody American remake!!!

Even Linkin Park who's return to music was highly anticipated. I remember sitting in the car waiting for the world exclusive play by Zane Lowe, I actually had tingles from the excitement as they had been described as back to their best, their Hybrid Theory best. Then the 'Catalyst' started and I felt like a small child who had just dropped their ice cream.

So our friends from Public Enemy were right "Don't Believe The Hype' - http://youtu.be/9vQaVIoEjOM.

Ok one sided ranting view over now, back to the song which I can use to help me fall asleep.

I listen to my iPod every night. I relax by enjoying podcasts such as, Dave Gorman - http://bit.ly/C90jT, Frank Skinner - http://bit.ly/3Z3NW, One Metal - http://bit.ly/cxaOZR or Metal Hammer - http://bit.ly/c0WbBJ. Often needing to rewind as I fall to sleep listening to these.

But I do have music to substitute for these eye closing moments. One of my favourite albums which mixes intensity with (kind of) relaxing tunes is by many classed as a masterpiece. Music that is used in so many TV moments and would for many people be instantly recognisable.

There are many tunes from the album which serve to bring on a trance like state but this is my favourite - night, night all (oh wait it's 12:00p.m.!)

http://youtu.be/WQYsGWh_vpE

No comments:

Post a Comment