Sunday 17 April 2011

30 Day Movie Challenge - Day 11

Movie that changed your opinion on something.

Well Titanic, which I have never watched, hasn't changed my opinion of Celine Dion, she's still awful.

Mamma Mia, which I just won't watch, wouldn't change my opinion of ABBA, I still hate them.

Pearl Harbor did change my opinion of movie making, realising that it is sometimes truly terrible, I mean Ben & Josh take on the whole Japanese army at the end single handedly it appears - duh!

At school teachers tried to teach me that one of our own countrymen was the definitive master in literacy. The Bard himself was the 'Don' in story telling. But there was a problem. Back in school Will just wasn't any good (IMHO).

I was taught that he wrote the best tragedies, developed the most intriguing thrillers, created the ultimate comedies (I never laughed once in a Shakespeare lesson).

I read, Twelfth Night, Midsummers Night Dream, Romeo & Juliet to name but a few. I even went to the RSC theatre to watch a play and to Hidcote Gardens to see an outdoor production, but I just didn't get it.

It was if anything slightly better than Chaucer (he still can't spell!) but it just didn't appeal.

When I first heard about the Romeo & Juliet film with Leo & Clare I was very apprehensive. I think if I'm honest the music soundtrack sold me on the idea, it had Radiohead on the soundtrack so it must have been worth a watch.

And it was. I loved it, I have blogged about it before and whilst I do not claim to understand in an instant all Shakespearian dialect & prose I have watched it many, many times (even forgetting the ending once!).

It is a superb film and one of my recommendations. I also loved Romeo Must Die too, same story just a little updated. I will however draw the line at Gnomeo & Juliet - tripe!

http://youtu.be/6S6IJWilpx4

Never managed the ballet but that's something else to overcome.

I am looking forward to watching the new Tempest film http://youtu.be/DDyGl2uIQ-Q and I guess therefore film has changed my opinion about our dear Bard.

No comments:

Post a Comment