Monday 7 March 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day Two

Least Favourite Song

Hmmm, songs I don't like, songs I hate. Where to start, anything by ABBA, anything by Celine Dion, these would be simple choices for such a category but this isn't what the title implies.

Least Favourite Song to me is a song which you can listen to but just don't enjoy listening to. There are a few in this category mainly songs which have been overplayed by radio & TV stations making them so annoying to hear and whilst I'm on that subject the song I have chosen springs to mind.

Bon Jovi's 'Livin' on a Prayer' http://youtu.be/lDK9QqIzhwk.

Why have I chosen such an iconic song? Well it's for that reason alone. Bon Jovi do have some truly great songs, some masterpieces perhaps, think 'Wanted Dead or Alive'; 'Blood On Blood'; 'Keep The Faith' to name but a few and yet 'Livin' on a Prayer' is every radio stations, TV stations, Wedding DJ's and Party/Nightclub DJ's go-to Bon Jovi track. *sigh!

The truth is it's not that great a song, in my humble opinion, if you were going to choose off that superb album 'Slippery When Wet' and I still remember buying it on Vinyl, then 'You Give Love a Bad Name' is a better track if you really want the commercially acceptable Jovi. Don't forget 'Wild In the Streets' and 'Raise Your Hands' which if you have never heard the album (those at weddings may fit this category!) then do check them out.

For me ' Livin' on a Prayer' has been destroyed by the curse of overplaying and becoming the song that defines the group on any occasion particularly where no rock or metal is involved. To support this frankly admittedly grumpy and one sided view consider this -

If a pop-bubblegum nightclub suddenly plays 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' and people dance like mad to it singing all the words wouldn't you love to canvass the audience for their other favourite Nirvana track names!? I think that this also goes for 'Livin' on a Prayer'.

No comments:

Post a Comment