Sunday 6 March 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day One

Your Favourite Song.


To be honest there are so many songs I could have picked for this one. I love almost all Queen songs, I love Metallica songs too, I even enjoy Counting Crows, Matchbox Twenty and some but not all classical songs.


Do I have a favourite song, it's hard to decide. Do I have a song which every time I hear it I cannot help remember when and why I liked it so much, sure.


So here it is, the one I decided to choose - A song from my youth, the one that got me hooked on Metal.http://youtu.be/jsmcDLDw9iw. Iron Maiden's 'The Number of the Beast'. 


In 1985, I was 12, my uncle had introduced me to the guitar, The Boomtown Rats (Tonic For The Troops album) and Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell album. I knew the louder the music, the more I liked it. My Dad on the other hand enjoyed playing me The Shadows, John Denver & Mike Oldfield but hey I didn't get them back then.


My parents and I stayed with a family member for a weekend and their son had this album by an unknown (to me) band Iron Maiden. The cover mesmerized me, a huge skeleton beast breaking out of a grave in a graveyard.


I needed to put this album on - and then it hit me - heavy metal. The next step up from Meatloaf and Bat out of Hell is a great tune.


As the Live After Death album played, on vinyl!!, I got more and more hooked. I remember the opening of this track and the description from Revelations about the mystical 666. Then there were the guitar solos, two of them in one song - genius.


And so, it began my some might say decline into the world of metal music, the noise that has taken over me, perhaps defined me in some way and always, always stays with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment