Saturday 10 December 2011

5 Albums I loved in 2011 \m/ No4.

Terrible admission - I only have two albums by this band and I discovered them late, really late.

In fact my introduction to the band was via a cover version of one of their biggest songs, covered (IMHO) very well actually by Lost Prophets.

I have seen the band live twice, firstly at a festival and secondly supporting the forever awesome Slipknot. On both occasions it is clear to see why this band has become the juggernaut they are today.

They ooze metal, the personify it. When I read once in a magazine article the lead singer and guitarist cut into his chest the words 'Metal as F**k' whilst very, very drunk, I knew that this band was hardcore metal.

The first album I got is still one of my favourite albums. It is a work of total genius. Catchy choruses, amazing guitar solos combined with brutal drums and singing. It is an album that gave me epic songs, 9 and 10 minute songs, songs that twist and turn so effortlessly taking you on a full journey.

It could stand head to head against any of the great albums out there - worthy of its place in greatest metal albums ever.

So how did they top that?

Well in 2011 they released an album which is some ways moved away from the seeping epic tracks, there are no 10 minute songs. That said what they have packed into the regular 7 minute masterpieces is awe inspiring.

From the opening track you release that this band mean business - BIG business. The songs are fast, really fast and brutal is the word that springs to mind. It conveys energy, it is Metal. The drumming is epic, the solos are crisp and intense, the lyrics are thought provoking. Everything about the album is everything I had hoped for.

Even the song which sounds like 'Careless Whisper' is fantastic (Stacey from http://staceinspire.wordpress.com/ told me that Phil's guilty pleasure is 'Careless Whisper' and I can see that now lol)

The album is genius - a triumph.

Have a listen for yourselves;

http://youtu.be/8OCBWPQswNo - can you hear George singing lol

http://youtu.be/jxjeqCd6Zm0 - title track \m/

Now I still need to buy their earlier albums - doh!

No comments:

Post a Comment