Tuesday 19 July 2011

30 Day Challenge - TV Shows

Special offer today - Two for One.

The categories covered today will be best comedy TV and best Action TV.

I'll start with best comedy and you will understand why I'm offering a 'two for one' special with this blog.

The simple fact is that since Scrubs stopped there has been a void in our lives, I feel I can include you all collectively in these blogs now. So it was with great delight that the makers of Scrubs created a new masterpiece.

I will sum up my favourite comedy TV show with two words;

'Penny Can'

For more information please review the following http://nikpriestley.blogspot.com/2011/06/30-day-challenge-tv-shows_23.html

So now to favourite Action TV.

Being a bloke, I like action stuff. (and yes I am aware that this is not an exclusive male liking). Whether it be Action Man (more of in a moment), He-Man or X-Men, action has always been on my TV screen. Childhood favourites were of course The A-Team, lots of action, explosions, making things from stuff and of course the 'no death' policy. There was Knightrider a.k.a. The Hoff & His Car, naturally the car, K.I.T.T. was the star but The Hoff always seemed to be cool even with the swagger and curly hair. They even made a reboot/remake of the series which I have to admit I enjoyed for all it's cheesy moments and nice cars.

Airwolf delivered some nice helicopter action at a weekend and Street Hawk attempted to deliver motorbike action - I was less than convinced about this series.

Action TV has not gone away but has evolved in many ways into more action/drama type programmes. There is way more drama for example in the CSI programmes although Miami attempts to create more Action than the others with its glitz, high speed Hummer moments and lots of explosions. In the same way NCIS: Los Angeles delivers way more action than the original NCIS.

So perhaps it is the cheesy action that I crave, after all I am a big fan of The Expendables, Tango & Cash, Universal Soldier etc and these have their moments of Mozzarella.

I referred earlier to Action Man, the eagle eyed doll which many of us owned as a child. I'm guessing that once we had chosen our outfit for our Action Man, perhaps even lucky enough to have the vehicles too; our Action Men were thrown around the garden or the urban environment (house) just like their real counterparts. Often the 'eagle eyes' would cease to function after being blinded by a flashbang, no sorry that's being covered in mud, the limbs would become loser, more adaptive as they fought to defend what was right; oh wait hold on, I mean loose because they didn't really like being thrown against the wall. Occasionally they would suffer a terminal injury from defusing the bomb to save the world, no wait, wrong again that was just because if you pulled and twisted too far, their leg falls off.

Anyhow, onto our screens came the real Action Man character and 'No' I don't mean G.I. Channing!

I have been lucky enough to watch this series in High Definition and it has been very, very pretty and that includes our Action Man hero! The scenery in the series showed perfectly why this is a destination of choice for many. The characters in the series are nothing new, quirky funny back up characters, terrible despicable criminals, partners who initially do not like each other, a team of misfits hand picked oh and of course each has a back story which needs to raise it's head often. The weapons, vehicles and set pieces in the series have of course not disappointed the Action Junky either. Finally it has what all great Action series need, a conspiracy!

Someone once commented on Facebook about the series and I think it sums it up perfectly The 'O' in the title, definitely stood for 'Obvious'.

But that's the beauty of this type of series, its an escape, a moment we can take our brains out and just vegetate on the sofa. It's not big and its not clever, although by God, it tries to take itself serious. Our very own Action Man can drive like Senna, fly a helicopter like TC in Magnum P.I. He can track the bad guys using the woods, mountain climb, deep sea dive, a master in martial arts, weapons & tactics. He is an all round Dude - struggles sometimes spotting the 'Obvious' but hey we all have flaws right.

It has been a nice change to many of the dramas I watch and yes, I look forward to the next season and some more time to 'take out the brain'.

As reboots/remakes go this one hit the spot well - http://youtu.be/T7Ba_jz22sI

No comments:

Post a Comment