Thursday 7 July 2011

30 Day Challenge - TV Shows

No one expects you to like.

Reality TV. Am I a fan or not? I can't decide. Why am I so indecisive about this, let's look at the facts.

Every year some utter Pop music dross is created and let loose into the world. It is the kind of music I choose to ignore and would never choose to listen to, go and see live (Hmm Live - there's another can of worms) or purchase. And yet, every year I tune in to see the car crash television moments at the audition stages. Be it, American Idol, X Factor or Must Be The Music from the car crash moments I get hooked. I know every year that this is the hook, where and how they get you. Slipping in that one person who can sing well live and is different (not Cher 'weirdo' Lloyd different but Daughtry different) and that you want to see progress through the weeks to ultimately triumph or crumble before our eyes.

I have in the past watched a series of Big Brother, the one with Kate Lawlor in. It was ok, weird people in unnatural circumstances slowly going stir crazy - if you like people watching, and I do, then this kind of voyeur television is just the ticket. The problem for me is that it gets old and boring. We've seen it, in many cases on Big Brother, we've seen it all (Kinga *vomit), however the TV stations and the Davinas of this world do not realise that the audience has seen enough. They try and up the anti, try and become so over the top and enthusiastic about a series that, for me anyway, it becomes overbearing and cringe worthy.

The new breed of shows, and so some of my friends who read this will know where this is going, are reality shows about real people, in 'real' situations, doing normal stuff that we all do.

The Only Way is Essex took its lead I guess from the American shows, The Hills, Jersey Shore etc. These ideas were born out of Beverley Hills 90210 perhaps? Let's take the fictitious show and design a real life version - we give you posh, rich people doing stuff in great Cities around the world - The Hills was born.

Now before I say anything about these shows - I have never seen TOWIE, I cannot stand The Hills and the people in Jersey Shore are just plain dumb! Like I said though, I haven't actually watched any of these.

BUT - and it's a big BUT (I've got Sir Mix-a-Lot going round in my head now!) There was one show that caught my eye (well I'll be honest a couple of the pretty ladies on it caught my eye). Having worked and spent some time in London I have always been fascinated by the rich and their lifestyles in London.

When I was much younger, a friend of mine introduced me to the word 'Sloane' which at the time described the rich, trendy types who frequented the Mayfair, Kensington and Chelsea areas. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sloane

The fascination began and when I saw the adverts for Made In Chelsea I was hooked.

It is always great to see how the other half live. To see the restaurants, bars and clubs that although I wouldn't necessarily choose to frequent are interesting to see inside of. I don't think I'll ever go to a Polo match and spend my time 'divoting' whilst sipping Champagne or Pimms. I don't think I'll ever be chauffeur driven in a Rolls Royce Phantom and I definitely don't have friends that I could or they could whip us away to Cannes for a weekend without a care in the world. I'm pretty sure my best guy mates don't have any jumpers with Pink Pigs on, or are bi-sexual or wear makeup - actually one does wear professionally done nail polish!

Made in Chelsea became a firm favourite of my weekly TV schedule, tweeting about it whilst watching it, discussing the pros and cons of the characters with friends and colleagues, trying and failing to convince https://twitter.com/#!/_Lalabum that it is worth watching.

What surprised me the most about watching Made in Chelsea was that it highlighted one of my failings. It made me realise that I am as guilty as the next person when it comes to judging a book by its cover. The assumption about someone based purely on appearance (and a number of the write ups prior to the show) is truly a failing and as a supporter of the S.O.P.H.I.E charity http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/ - I was surprised.

Let me quickly explain, anyone who saw the series will probably understand. Let's take Ollie as an example. A makeup wearing (face, neck and abs!), long haired individual (not in a Metal or Rock way) with a very interesting dress sense (Pig Jumper & Bright Yellow Ski Suit), he also looked the spitting image of his girlfriend. From the look and the description given in the Radio Times write up a character that I assumed would be annoying. How wrong was I? Ollie was brilliant, so funny, so entertaining and quite simply one of the best characters in the series. Book, judge, never, a, its, by, cover - rearrange!!

Then there was Hugo and Spencer - a double act of best mates with designer beards which in Spencer's case came and went like the sun and moon. Rich beyond belief, off to Cannes at the drop of a hat etc, etc. Turns out Hugo was a complete Dude, said the right things, was very funny and pointed out the misgivings of his best mate on many occasion. Would Spencer be as good? - would he hell. Playing love life games, immature games and.... (no plot spoilers here)

So my choice for today, something you wouldn't have expected me to like which taught me a lesson about misjudging people http://www.e4.com/chelsea/

http://youtu.be/m1SyNyDoj8M

In my defence - I did call Francis right.

1 comment:

  1. You nearly convinced me to watch it after reading this post....not really lol; I stand by what I said in my originalTweet on the "programme", the Tweet that nearly made you choke! :-)

    ReplyDelete