Friday 24 June 2011

30 Day Challenge - TV Shows

Something to watch to feel down.

This has to be the worst titled challenge ever. Who honestly watches a TV programme to actually make themselves feel down!?

Ok, so I know my good friend @_Lalabum (follow her on Twitter) gets really high sometimes, and before you ask or jump to conclusions this is from sugar rushes. It's all legal, mostly produced by ice cream, often produced by Twizzlers, Krispy Kremes and at least once a year by giant liquorice. So I guess at some stage a TV programme might help her come down ;-)

There of course our wonderful soap operas (I promise I'll stop bashing them after this post), I'm guessing they would make an audience feel down. For me; when I am unfortunate to see part of an episode, I feel elated that my life is soooo much better than the characters - maybe that's why people watch them- actually to feel good about life.

I did watch Ross Kemp's Extreme Worlds and like many of his documentaries there were some shocking and terrible scenes but nothing had prepared me for his documentary on the Congo. It made me feel sick and saddened that the world turns a blind eye to this terrible terrible brutality because; and this is just one opinion, there is nothing commercial to be gained by helping.

If you didn't see this (and can stomach it) then I found an online version here - there a a few popups to open and ignore before you can watch it http://documentaryheaven.com/ross-kemp-extreme-world-congo-ep2/

I remember when I first watched Band of Brothers, which for me is still one of the greatest mini-series ever made for television. Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the series, once again as an audience member and to the great credit of the actors and makers you cannot help but feel moved by the series. Knowing what these people endured alongside thousands of others is moving and emotional, but should make us very proud of each and every one of them. I remember a specific episode where they find the concentration camp and to this day it stays with me.

Like many of my favourite things, TV, Movies, Music, they all have one thing in common and that is the power to evoke all emotions.

I don't watch TV, listen to music or go and see a movie to experience a down feeling but nevertheless they can sometimes surprise you and achieve that goal before you know it.

On that note let's cheer ourselves up

http://youtu.be/_pj2Nutu5v8 - parental advisory lyrics!

No comments:

Post a Comment