Monday 23 May 2011

Inception.

I just watched Inception on Blu Ray.

It is my second viewing of this film and I am currently eating a large bowl of humble pie.

In my defence the hype surrounding Inception was enormous, it was billed as the greatest film ever, bigger than God and Evolution put together.

When I went to see it at the cinema I admit that I enjoyed the film greatly and yet somehow felt a small level of disappointment. I couldn't put my finger on it, I just felt it hadn't lived up to the hype.

So here's the deal, in the first viewing I was hooked by the set pieces, the hotel scene with the gravity fights, the tin-opener Paris scene, the snow vault scene which came straight of a Call of Duty game/ All of these grabbed me from day one and gelled perfectly with my inner action film love.

Then there was the dream or not dream sequences, fear not I am not going to spoil anything but the process of the realities again were from films I had previously enjoyed, The Matrix for one, Strange Days another.

The acting is at the top of it's game with stellar performances all round. Ons thing that strikes me is how excited I am to see Tom Hardy cast as Bane in the upcoming Christopher Nolan The Dark Knight Rises.

So what was wrong with me feeling let down - hype!

So on second viewing? The film is superb, start to finish it is gripping, action packed, acted splendidly and stands up on Blu Ray, potentially better than on the big screen. The music score, as with previous Chris Nolan films, is brilliant with Hans Zimmer delivering perfect music for the film. His previous favourites of mine have included The Last Samurai, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Gladiator & Frost/Nixon all of which have perfect scores.

So the answer is, avoid the hype perhaps. Rely on your instinct, your friends and colleagues, your gut feeling. Embrace films, movies & TV and just roll with what you enjoy and discover. Naturally there will be some duds but there has to be a balance right?

http://youtu.be/imamcajBEJs

No comments:

Post a Comment