Monday 25 April 2011

30 Day Movie Challenge - Day 19

Favourite comic adaptation.

I love comics and superheroes. Since I was small and I saw Superman: The Movie I was hooked on comic book films.

As I grew up, The Incredible Hulk, Wonder-Woman, Batman all graced the T.V. screen. There were even some really awful Spider-man movies in the '70s and a Captain America adaptation.

I have two favourite super-heroes, Batman & Daredevil. They are from rival houses, DC & Marvel but they are equally cool. Batman just edges it for me as the coolest which is strange as DC for me have the least cool superheroes.

I mean look at this way, Marvel has X-Men, Spider-man, Iron Man, Thor, Daredevil etc.

DC gave us, Robin!, Supergirl! & Aquaman.

The movies have improved over the years, as much as I loved the original Superman films, Christopher Reeve convincing me at an early age that man could fly, the films have developed and enhanced way past these. In the case of Batman which we will arrive at shortly, I do still miss the Kapow sounds!

Graphic novels have also proved valuable for the movies, as 'Grown-up' comics these novels have produced some great movies - Kick Ass, one of my Top 5 films of all time. 300 - turned into a great movie. Watchmen, whilst very intense and hard going was well as intense and hard going as the graphic novel. Sin City was also a superb adaptation.

Films such as the Spider-man trilogy were spectacular to watch, Hellboy 1 & 2 has Ron Perlman in it - 'nuff said.

Superman returns was a great comeback for the franchise, even keeping the original music to create that hair-raising exciting feeling.

Ironman 1 & 2 were brilliant, Robert captures the character so well.

The original Batman movies were again a good start, Michael Keaton was a brilliantly dark and disturbed Batman as he should be. I can't bring myself to talk about the others, Val & George - you know your crimes.

For me then my favourite adaptation film has to be Batman Begins. Yes, yes, yes I do love Heath Ledger's The Joker - manic, psychotic and not camp like Jack's version. The Dark Knight is in itself a stunning film which captures the world of Batman superbly.

But it was Batman Begins which took us to this place first. It gave us the origin of the story, the creation of Batman, the dark almost insane mind of Bruce Wayne. The fine line walked by Bruce between right & wrong.

It got Batman spot on.

My hope for the third in the series is at a huge high, with the introduction of Bane and the possibility that the storyline of Knightfall could be visited, I am to say the least EXCITED!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Knightfall#.22Knightfall.22

Now some can criticise Christian Bale for the growling voice but hey its a comic book, he could talk like Joe Pasquale but with all that armour, gadgetry and cool cars - he would still be supercool. What adds to this is that when all said and done Batman has no superpowers, not one!

It is simply a mans will, dedication, intense training and lots of cash that gets him to where he needs to be, essentially any of us could be a superhero, oh wait that has been looked into and proved not that successful!

http://youtu.be/vak9ZLfhGnQ

http://youtu.be/osrA1tQsAS8

No comments:

Post a Comment