Saturday 23 April 2011

30 Day Movie Challenge - Day 17

The movie that most disappointed.

Whilst my easiest choice here would be The Twiglet Saga: New Moon for the fact that for almost 2 hours virtually nothing happens except a yellow Porsche, one kinda fight and a very funny "Put the dog out" comment, I wasn't actually expecting much which means that although I use this opportunity to rant once more about it - I cannot choose it.

So this leaves me with the choice I have picked.

I'll start with two characters I do find funny, Jay & Silent Bob. I think Dogma is a classic film, witty & entertaining. Jay & Silent Bob are also very funny. I have seen extracts from Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back which have also amused me but I have not seen it from start to finish.

I spent a number of nights listening to their Podcast and marvelling at how Jason Mews (Jay) has fought his addictions and become sober, whilst somehow managing to stay alive. Kevin Smith (Silent Bob) is also a very funny man, writing some great films Zack & Miri as an example.

My problem here and my choice is Clerks.

Simply put, I just don't get it.

I have watched it many times, never actually getting to the end. There are some moments which make me smile, the store clerk discussing how many people him and his girlfriend have slept with is funny, Jay & Silent Bob do very little and the rest of the film just drags.

Now, some would accuse me of not liking the film because perhaps is is too "talky" - a charge that cannot be levied at me, I love Tarantino films where talking tends to be a focal point. Perhaps it is because it is filmed in black & white, once I again I refer you to my love of such films as Casablanca, Seven Samurai which are shot in B&W. This doesn't bother me at all.

It's just that I don't find it engaging. I don't care at all about the characters, I don't care about any plot, which it seems to be void of, and I don't find the talking funny.

I have to say that this film definitely disappoints me.

Sorry Mr. P. but this is another film that we must disagree on.

http://youtu.be/XMANR-wrg7o - something that is funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment